Tips For Packing Clothing For A Storage Unit
Posted on: 26 September 2016
Renting a storage unit is an ideal solution if you need a place to store some of your things for a short amount of time or for a long time, and you can place almost anything in a unit you rent. Clothing is one thing some people have a need to store, and this is often for short-term purposes. If you live in a small home and do not have enough room for all the clothes your family owns, you could rent a storage shed and use it for extra space. Here are some tips that will help you do this in a way that helps you free up space and that keeps your clothes safe.
Create A System
Without a lot of closet space in your home, it can be hard to find a place to put all your winter clothes and summer clothes. To free up space, you can use your storage unit as a place to put your clothes, but you should create a good system before you begin. Here are some tips to help you with this:
- Keep summer and winter clothes separate – By doing this, you can place all your winter clothes in the storage unit when summer is about to begin, and you can keep just your summer clothes out. When summer is almost over, you can swap these two different sets out. You can do this for each family member in your home.
- Use color-coated boxes for each family member – To keep everyone's things separated, develop a color-coated system for the boxes. Assign a certain color to each family member, and make sure you place this color sticker on that person's boxes. This will make it easier for you to find the right things when you need them.
Once you have this figured out, you can begin packing your clothes for storage.
There are several important things you should know before you place your clothing in a storage unit. The first thing to understand is the potential threats your belongings will face when they are stored in a unit, and these are extreme weather issues, rodents, insects, and moisture. The goal of properly packing your items is keep them safe from these threats, and here are some of the things you should do as you prepare your items for storage:
- Wash them – Before you pack any clothing items, wash them. By washing them, you can make sure they do not contain remnants of food or bacteria, and this is important because these things attract rodents and insects. In addition, if you wash them right before packing them, you may not have to rewash them when you return to get them.
- Fold them – If you want your clothes to look nice when you get them out of storage, you should fold them as neatly as possible.
- Pack them in boxes – You can use cardboard boxes or plastic totes for your clothing and both are fine; however, plastic totes will help more with keeping pests away from your clothes.
Once you have packed your things up, you can place them in your storage unit. When you do this, consider placing a wood pallet on the floor in the unit first. This will help keep your boxes off the floor, and this can add an extra layer of protection to them. If you want to protect them even more, place cedar blocks in the storage unit. The smell of cedar is effective for keeping moths and other bugs away.
If you are interested in renting a storage unit for your clothing or other belongings, contact a facility like National Self Storage - Denver today.Share